Saturday, November 28, 2009

Puppy Rescue

When I was back in the States for the HFHC annual board meeting, Bijou and Tim finally bonded! And it was in a truly amazing way.
Each time Tim & I spoke on the phone he kept talking about "Bijou and I did this" or Bijou and I did that". Truthfully I was getting a little jealous. One night when we were talking he told me about his and Bijou's big adventure for the day. It was really beyond belief, if you know how Tim was always hating on my puppy! Here's how the tale went in the words of Tim:
Typically, our (Tim & Bijou) walk would start going towards the ravine, with Bijou leading the way (note from Debbie: Tim NEVER took my puppy on a walk until this week I was away. So the walk itself is miraculous). This day as we approached the edge of the ravine, Bijou stopped and began to growl. Up atop the far side of the ravine we could see some goats. Bijou continued growling at them and we noticed something very tiny up on the ridge by the goats. The killer goats were butting a small, small animal, over and over again. AS we crossed the ravine to see what it was, we saw thta it was a very tiny puppy, crying for help. Bijou scaredt he killer goats away, and the little puppy came running to us.
Apparently the puppy had been out in the "wilderness" for quite some time with no food or water. It didn't even look old enough to be away from its mother.After playing with her for a few minutes we were going to continue on our walk, but we didn't see any other puppies or the mother any where near by. The puppy was determined to go along with us. At this point I realized I could not just leave the puppy out there all alone. She would not survive, so I decided to take her back to the house to give her food and water. She scarfed down Bijou's food and water like there was no tomorrow! Bijou & I went back out to "sniff out the trail" to see if we could find the mother dog or someone to whom the puppy might belong, but found no dogs, no people, nothing - a cold trail."
Okay, to make a long story short - Tim kept this puppy and took care of it with Bijou's help, while I was gone. When I got home this little (fleabag) puppy was crying all night long and no one was getting any sleep - except Bijou, who after the first night or two had decided whe wasn't going to be a part of that insanity. We decided this just wasn't the best time for us to take in a new puppy and Mezo said his family wanted her. We had to take Bijou to the vet to update her health certificate so she can travel with us in December, so we took little fleabag along and had her vaccinations done and some flea treatment. That night she went to her new home and all mezo's children were happy and so were we when we had a quiet, peaceful night's rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment