Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It was the weirdest thing yesterday - I have never heard of this in all the years I have been working in Haiti. I was taking Bijou for a walk and some ladies were coming down the path from up on the mountain, carrying their goods to market in Thomazeau. I had Bijou on a leash and was holding her close to me. As soon as they saw me and Bijou they started yelling "Um we! Um we!", which means "help me, help me!" and "M paka kouri, m paka kouri!" That means I can't run! I called to them that I was holding Bijou and she would not do anything to them, that they could pass this way with no problem. They screamed all the more and were trying to run as fast as they could with their loads. I told Mezo (our guard) about it and he said they think white people will eat them, They thought I would use Bijou to catch them and then we would eat them. Wow! I told him I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat meat, so they only have to worry about Tim. Anyway, it was an interesting little first time experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment